Old 28-07-2007, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default Worse tomatoe plants ever?

In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article . com,
dbasedos wrote:

Worse tomatoe plants ever?
The last couple of years my tomatoe plants
have grown shorter and shorter. Also not
getting near as many tomatoes. I only have
a small plot and can not rotate crops.
What to do to get better plants next year?

Compost and manure, 50/50.

or if you don't have a ready source of aged poop compost will do, or if you
don't have a ready source of compost aged poop will do. I

f you have neither simply piling spray free grass clippings on the soil for
several months prior to planting will help, throw in some used coffee
grounds as well, some leaves as well. Give a few months for it to break down
and then plant. Not absolutely scientific but better than doing nowt. It all
adds organic matter into the soil that will benefit the soil. I did a raised
garden last year with grass clippings, coffee grounds, some old hay, old
bits of wool, paper, a bit of fresh poop & a layer of soil over the top.
Left it a few months & planted tomatos into it, they did fine.

rob

Or as Kay suggested, make a trench in your garden, while it is resting,
and fill it with the organic garbage from your kitchen. As you fill the
trench, cover it back over with dirt.

FB - FFF
--
Billy