Old 28-07-2007, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Schomburkia humboldtii

"jadel" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 27, 8:47 pm, K Barrett wrote:
My question is does anyone here grow Schomburkia humboldtii? I have the
alba form and the regular form, both are mounted on cork bark. every
year the new growths get smaller and smaller. I just potted it in a very
open mix of lava rock, treefern and charcoal in a plastic pot. Anyone
else try their's in a pot? I've only ever seen Schomb.s grown mounted,
but obviously mine doesn't like my watering habits.

I have been growing a schomb. on red lava rock in a pot for several
years. Each year's growth gets bigger, but the blasted thing won't
bloom.

So they do grow well in pots, but what it takes to bloom them has
evaded me so far.

J. Del Col

OK, so now we just gotta get them to bloom! These were moved to
myrmecophilia, so maybe they need slightly more acid? (In nature they grow
with ants who provide formic acid to their roots) Just a guess. But no
one else seems to worry about acid in their growing regimen. Santa Barbara
Orchid Estate just hangs them way high in their GH. I'm assuming you've
giving them enough light. Everyone says to put them high in the GH and that
they grow warm (makes me worry about my low winter temps.)

K Barrett