Old 28-07-2007, 02:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko Srgnt Billko is offline

Default market for old lawn tractors?

"Joe" wrote in message news:9hGqi.133$9I3.37@trndny06...
Just curious, but is there much of a market for used lawn tractors? I
occasionally see an adv. but I don't know how to price it. I have a 6 year
old Craftsman tractor mower I got at Sears. It has a 48" cut- it was one
of the better models at the time. It's engine clock is at 195 hours and
I've been doing all the required maintenance- religiously.

I don't know if 195 hours on such a machine is considered a great deal?
How's that compare to a car- that is, is it like a car with 100,000 miles
on it?

I think I paid about $2,300 for it. I have a house sale contract in
effect- that property has a 3 acre lawn- not sure if the prospective buyer
has a mower, though I'm just asked the broker to find out. If he doesn't
have one I'm sure he'd like mine- but I'd like to get the max. price and
have no clue.

Any suggestions on would be appreciated.

Joe

I have a copy of a general guide somewhere - it says something to the effect
that a tractor like yours (not a JD, Wheelhorse or other premo) loses 50%
the first 2 years - but I forget the percentages after that. If I was buying
a 3 acre lawn I would either contract for the lawn care or buy a Z because
they are so much quicker. But I have found there is a buyer for
everything - in this case it would not be me.