Old 28-07-2007, 04:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JB[_1_] JB[_1_] is offline

Default market for old lawn tractors?

Joe,

A few years back I was trying to figure out why the John Deere dealers LX
series lawn tractors with a 42" deck were priced at around $2,000 more than
the John Deere LT models with a 48" deck sold at Home Depot, when the
specifications, except for the engine manufacturer, were fairly similar. The
moderator for lawn mowers/tractors discussion group at the Consumer Report
site said that the Briggs and Stratton engines on the LTs are typically
tested for 250 hours while the Kawasaki is tested at around 400. In other
words, you should expect a longer life span from the LX than the LT. Also,
the LX was had a stronger deck and it was the deck that typically failed
before the engine. Made sense to me and helped to justify the higher price.

So, I'd day that there's a few good years left in your Craftsman and the new
buyer might be interested if they don't already have one. If you don't need
it where you're moving, then it's more of a liability to you to keep. You
may just want to throw it in to sweeten the deal.

John

"Joe" wrote in message news:9hGqi.133$9I3.37@trndny06...
Just curious, but is there much of a market for used lawn tractors? I
occasionally see an adv. but I don't know how to price it. I have a 6 year
old Craftsman tractor mower I got at Sears. It has a 48" cut- it was one
of the better models at the time. It's engine clock is at 195 hours and
I've been doing all the required maintenance- religiously.

I don't know if 195 hours on such a machine is considered a great deal?
How's that compare to a car- that is, is it like a car with 100,000 miles
on it?

I think I paid about $2,300 for it. I have a house sale contract in
effect- that property has a 3 acre lawn- not sure if the prospective buyer
has a mower, though I'm just asked the broker to find out. If he doesn't
have one I'm sure he'd like mine- but I'd like to get the max. price and
have no clue.

Any suggestions on would be appreciated.

Joe