Old 28-07-2007, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default Free Hay mulch

"George.com" wrote in
:

A couple of nights ago whilst driving home on the open road I found 2
bales of hay. I managed to get them in the car & figured I had saved
myself $20, $10 a bale is about right.

I spread one bale around some trees today as mulch. I reckoned I had
done well until I noticed all the thistle seeds in the mix.

rob

Repeat to yourself: Hay is not straw.

Also, hay is expected to go for near-gold prices this fall. You probably
could have bought eight bags of mulch for what you could have got for those
two bails. I kid you not, I heard of a farmer here in Indiana being
offered $15/bale for a 1000 bale load NOW.