Old 29-07-2007, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Bending an oak tree

"Tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an oak in my backyard that was hit by a falling tree back in
2004. The trunk is 14" - 16" in diameter and the tree is probably 25'
- 30' high. The falling tree pushed the top of this tree into an oak
next to it, and all the branches got tangled. Well 3 years later and
the oak has a pronounced bend in the trunk and has been growing into
the other oak. I would like to bend it back to its original
position. I was thinking of attaching a steel cable as high as I can
get it and use some sort of winch/come-along/ratchet attached to
another tree in the yard to slowly pull the tree back into its
original position over time (or even a little further along). Is this
feasible?

You can see the tree at:
http://www.spilledwhine.com/pics/benttree1.jpg
http://www.spilledwhine.com/pics/benttree2.jpg

Thanks,
Tom Kuhn

First the method you mention may injure the tree. The steel cable. I would
have to see the tree to make recommendation. We could make a special camb
guard for the job if its not to large of a tree.
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/camb/

If the tree is large I might, I would have to see the tree, drill and place
a bolt rod in. I would scribe just so round washers would sit flat on the
wood. The a nut on one and the end to pull would have an amon nut. If
interested I could make some drawings.

The tree would be done growing in girth in 8-10 weeks after the leaves have
fully formed. Then the new material will become lignified. So you could
pull it until new growth lignified. Just to pull it over winter would not
serve much.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist