Old 29-07-2007, 02:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default New Lawn Yellowing

On Jul 28, 9:40?pm, Amos Nomore wrote:
In article . com,

wrote:
Early this spring, I put down new sod. The grass looked incredibly
healthy for several months. But now, although it's still very thick,
the grass is starting to look yellowish. It's not underwatering, as I
know the gray-green tinge underwatering causes. I have not
fertililized the lawn since I laid it down (except for the starter
fertilizer). I cut the grass high at the mower's highest setting, and
use a mulching blade. (The mulched clippings are fine enough not to
be visible on the lawn.) I deep soak the lawn three times a week. I
feel like I'm doing everything "right" but still, it's looking
yellowish. Any suggestions?

You might try letting it dry out a little between waterings. Give the
grass motivation to root deeper.

Sod never really roots. Sod is extra susceptible to every lawn
malady. Sod is like hydroponic lawn. If sod is not greening up it
probably needs nitrogen. It's not possible to sucessfully grow sod
withoiut an automated sprinkler system. Sod requires daily watering
and constant [time release] fertilizing and pesticides. Sod is for
those who have no patience and have more dollars than brain cells.
Sod can't compete with a seeded lawn.