Old 29-07-2007, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CWatters CWatters is offline

Default lawn advice needed

"CWatters" wrote in message

"lee5768" wrote in message

hi all,

i know nothing about gardening at all and i could use as much advice as
can get about the biggest part of my garden the lawn

long story short its very uneven seems very compact and solid with
bumps, i
would say there is more weeds than grass to be honest
and alot of patches with nothing other than solid soil

In which case it sounds too far gone. I would have it rotavated levelled

and
turfed.

PS. If you go this route it's extreemly important to keep it well watered
for the first two weeks. It's quite possible for it to be ruined in a single
sunny afternoon so you may need the sprinlers on continuously to keep it
saturated. Otherwise the turf dries rapidly and shrinks leaving big gaps.

We had our new lawn done earlier in the year just before that sunny spell we
had. Its quite large and I had two sprinklers on it for the first 4 days
moving them every 45mins or so. That was hard to arrange and I missed an
afternoon - big mistake. In about 4 hours large gaps opened up in several
places where it dried. Lucky we had kept some turf and I was able to fill
them and get the watering going again. After about two weeks the turf had
fixed itself down enough for me to relax a bit. Now looks fantastic.