Old 01-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Gene S

Default Hot weather tomatoes & bell peppers ?

Found a few good looking tomato & pepper plants at
Home Depot - Lakeline & some more (actually better
quality & price) at WallyMart near 183 & 1431 Cedar Park.
The strawberries at WallyMart looked especially
nice - got a pallet.

Question:

Assuming a 6" tomato plant, How "DEEP" do I plant it?
The instructions said 80% deep.

Is there a "rule-of-thumb" for planting tomato plants?
I'm thinking that planting a 6" tomato ~ 2" ( 33%) in the
ground is enough, but ... That is, place dirt 2" up on
the stem.

I plan to plant a "diversion" crop of something real cheap (like
grocery store beans, peas, etc.) around the small pecan trees
to see if the hoppers will be distracted:-) I have no clue if it will
work - but better than have the little ^&*%^! eat the pecan leaves,
again.
Any suggestions as to what to plant?

Thanks,
Gene

--
E-mail:

"Gene S" wrote in message
Good day, all.

Of the varieties of tomato & bell pepper plants at
Home Depot, Lowe's or WallyMart - which varieties will keep
producing in the "HEAT" of the summer? We had
a couple of tomatoes last year that produced "all"
summer - but I can't remember what they we-(

BTW - it froze our here last night, but the peach, etc. tree
blooms seem intact. Could they have actually survived, or will
the fall off shortly? Geesh - two years in a row...

THANKS,
Gene
Briggs, TX

--