Old 29-07-2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner[_2_] William Wagner[_2_] is offline

Default New Lawn Yellowing

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Early this spring, I put down new sod. The grass looked incredibly
healthy for several months. But now, although it's still very thick,
the grass is starting to look yellowish. It's not underwatering, as I
know the gray-green tinge underwatering causes. I have not
fertililized the lawn since I laid it down (except for the starter
fertilizer). I cut the grass high at the mower's highest setting, and
use a mulching blade. (The mulched clippings are fine enough not to
be visible on the lawn.) I deep soak the lawn three times a week. I
feel like I'm doing everything "right" but still, it's looking
yellowish. Any suggestions?

You've probably washed all the nitrogen away with all that water. Fertilize
it,
and cut the watering back to not much more than once a week. You want to
encourage the roots to grow down looking for sustanence, not get everything
it
wants right at the surface, where it dries out too quickly.

Bob

We used to grow annual rye for a few years then seeded perennial.
Sod is quick I know I had to help a friend get it down before it self
destructed due to heat buildup. Speak of composing without trying.

My question is what does your sod sit on ?

You want to
encourage the roots to grow down looking for sustanence

Seems like great advice!

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade