Old 01-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Aaron Hicks

Default Ladybugs for Mealie control

"Ted Byers" spaketh thusly:

I had no idea there were carnivorous plants that large. Is N. rajah
winter hardy in Canada? What exactly are its cultural requirements, and
where might it be acquired? (As a scientist, I LOVE a challenge - if
something is easy, it is hardly worth doing!!!!!!)

Nepenthes are tropical. So, they'd be hardy in Canada in the same
sense that, say, cattleyas are hardy in Canada. The big problem with rajah
and other high-altitude nepenthes is they need a huge differential in
day/night temperatures. They enjoy condensation on the leaves in the
morning- probably not compatible with orchids. Night temperatures should
get into the low 60s, days into the 70's and 80's. In effect, they need
refrigeration in most areas. N. rajah goes into decline without the
temperature swings.

Noisy neighbors, unfortunately, are still too big.

Maybe a little selective breeding with N. rajah is called for? ;-)

They're working on it, believe me.

Any idea what the largest stinging nettle would be?

No. Geraldo? Morley Safer?

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

E-mail address in the header isn't valid. Sorry.