Old 29-07-2007, 09:55 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
nightrider.36 nightrider.36 is offline

Default garden pest question?

I'm trying to figure out what type of underground pest I have
destroying my lawn--completely destroying it! All I've been doing
lately is to wake each morning and see the new soil mound.

At first I thought it was a golpher, then maybe a mole. But when I
compared what I've been reading to what I'm seeing in my lawn, it may
be something else but I don't know what?

I installed the sod about two months ago. This pest leaves mounds of
moist, brown soil but covers up its hole. It appears to be nocturnal.
I've tried smoke bombs and have also tried to identify its main run, I
can't. All the holes are completely covered, I can't get anything in
there.

The smoke bombs were inserted in the two available holes that I found
early one morning. But all the others get covered up--it's really
frustrating.

Any help on this would be appreciated. This is a new lawn and I'm
already fighting off a fungal disease because we're having a more
humid summer than usual.

Alex
Escondido, Ca.