Old 29-07-2007, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg Chris Hogg is offline

Default OT OT Excel ??????

"'Mike'" wrote in message
I wish to put numbers in a cell which commence with a '0'. For example 067
but when I go to the next cell, the number reverts to just 67.

I can get over it by putting an 'O' (capital o), but this then does not
Data Sort properly.

Can anyone help please?

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will have a
Stand

Robert Harvey has it right. Highlight the column that you wish to
format, then select 'Format Cells' and then 'custom'. Then select the
first in the list and change it in the little window under 'Type:' to
000 or 0000 or whatever, and there you are. Numbers will display with
as many leading zeros as are not otherwise occupied, and you can
perform the usual maths or sort functions on them. No need for
apostrophes or text formatting or whatever. The format you've just
created will also appear as a new format in the custom list for future
use.

--
Chris