Old 30-07-2007, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default OT OT Excel ??????

"JennyC" wrote in message
"'Mike'" wrote in message
I wish to put numbers in a cell which commence with a '0'. For example
067
but when I go to the next cell, the number reverts to just 67.

I can get over it by putting an 'O' (capital o), but this then does not
Data Sort properly.

Can anyone help please?
Mike

To keep the data as numerical, you can make a special format:

1) Select the column

2) Click Format - Cells

3) Choose Custom

4) Put 0### in the field 'Type' (the number of #'s will be the amount of
numbers you want after the 0)

5) Presto :~))

HTH Jenny

Thanks Jenny.

The number of #'s will change, does it matter? Looking at the data so far, I
'think' it will be 01, 02, to 09 then 10, 11, and on, BUT it might go to 099
and possibly even 0999. Other numbers will be conventional without an 0 in
front up to four numbers such as 1009.

The problem is going to lie in sorting these with data in previous and later
columns which will be alphabetical sorts but taking the numbers with them.

Does that make sense???????

For example:

L 099 Jenny
B 321 Mike
A 888 Keith

Sort col one and the letters will reverse to ABL A to the top with 888 Keith
Sort col three and A goes under L 099 and Jenny in line 2

See what I mean? ALL columns must sort.

At a rough guess, 6000 entries in about 8 columns into three different sorts
and printed :-(

As I said somewhere else, I think have bitten off more than I can chew and
this is why the book has never been published ;-))

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk