Old 01-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Cass

Default best roses for Albuquerque, NM

wrote:

says...

I like naked
roses pictures, btw, mostly so I can remember how I pruned em this
year so I can see if it makes the slightest bit of difference.

in a lot of ways they're very illuminating. put em up for awhile,
then nuke em when the color starts arriving. real world rosing,
things brown half the time.

No brown here, ever, unless it's something really bad requiring
sterilization of pruning tools. This "winter" was so mild that now
we're going through early season leaf drop, where all the winter growth
gets knocked down by new spring growth. I hate that.

the landscape is noticeably different this year, even the
horseshoers noticed it, said things looked more 'open' for some
reason. yeah, new chainsaw.

LOL. Ever since I read about Liggett's pneumatic pruners, I've
wanted 'em. I saw them on some internet site somewhere, many 100's
of dollars (is $1200 possible?). The first 125 roses are fine, but
the last 25 are likely to get either no pruning or a vicious "grab
halfway up and hack" attack. So I appreciate the chainsaw need. Plus
bonus points for power tools, of course. Didya hear about my jack
hammer?

heh. jack hammer. no.

Julia can't believe that a rose could grow any place where you have to
blast rose holes into the hillside. She's coming to inspect and make a
report to the Truth & Reconciliation commission.

The trouble with chainsaws is you start looking around for things to
cut down.

,,, didn't have any more close calls after that but it is scary
hearing and feeling that final craaaack when a big one goes down.

Doesn't count unless you hit your truck or your dog. We pinched
ours. That was not good. We let it go.

sat there for a long time on one, wondering what it was going to do
to the toyota. might hit it, might not, you know. it hit it, yeah,
fell across the bed, perfect.

It's special physics. Not only does it always hit the truck, anytime it
has a choice, it will hit the other guy's truck first. Or the other
guy.

the closest I can get to Safrano is Sharon's Delight and it's
doing fine, thanks. the half of it that whitedog dug up year
before last, I planted it in an exposed location and it no likee,
needs something behind it to catch the rays and keep it warm,
here, that is a section of 4' 1 x 12 fence.

Ya know, I caught my dog chewing on a Dortmund cane to get to a
tennis ball. I mean, can you imagine if that happening to Sharon's
Delight? I need roses that can defend themselves. FDY does it just
fine.

on the north side I left the remains of Dr. Harry Stebbings, several
dead canes--big dog chew toy. I guess I'll need another one when
it's gone.

I had to look that one up. Capt. Very purdy. I don't think I have a
single rose in that color that blooms and blooms and blooms.