Old 30-07-2007, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Petrol and oil

, I, Marvo, say :

Mark wrote:

I've got a petrol lawnmower and a petrol hedge trimmer.
Now I'm not telling you that to brag!

Lawnmower likes its petrol straight and hedge trimmer prefers a dash
of oil.

Rather than have two cans on the go could I just have one 'petrol
plus oil' can and refuel both machines or do you think it would
upset the lawn mower.

Just buy one of the 2-stroke oil mixer cans, and keep the 5l container
for the mower.
They are around £4 from garden centres, with scales on the side for
measuring out the 2-stroke oil. Fill it to the level with petrol, then
top it up to the required level with the oil.
Dead easy, and it stops you having to measure out the oil separately.
Of course, you will still have 2 containers, but one will only hold
around 1 litre,so very easy to store, the other will have normal
petrol in it.

And don't leave it half full, or in the cooler weather the water in the air
will condense and eventually settle at the bottom of the petrol. You will
then put it in the lawnmower. Later, when you start the lawnmower, it will
have a carburettor full of water.

Doesn't matter so much with a strimmer cos it's never the same way up for
long.