Old 30-07-2007, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies Emrys Davies is offline

Default Newbie Veg Questions

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

A few basic questions from a relative newbie if I may:

Should "Tender Green" french beans need supporting?
Should the above produce curly or straight(ish) beans (mine are

distinctly
curly).

See he http://tinyurl.com/2qrslu

How do you tell when onions are "ready". I have a dozen or so that

have
filled out to a decent size, but should the tops die off/flower/seed

or
whatever before harvesting?

Its all he http://tinyurl.com/32tv5w

A few small courgettes have formed behind flowers, but then

disappeared.
Are they being snaffled by some local sneak thief or is there

something that
needs to be done to make these "set"?

Hopefully this site will help: http://tinyurl.com/3d7vrl

Why do tomatoes do so much better in grow bags? I have planted some

in open
ground, but with at least a 50% local addition of seed compost. So I

was
expecting a similar result to the grow bags - but no, much slower and

less
convincing foliar growth.

If possible study the makeup of the compost in the growbag and then try
and replicate it for the tomatoes which you plant in open ground. Or
follow this advice: http://tinyurl.com/27mw9u

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.