Old 30-07-2007, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Do seeds have to ripen on the plant?

FragileWarrior expounded:

Or can the seed pod/flower head be cut off and hung to dry after it is
formed? I'm thinking of things like Bread-seed Poppy, Balsam, Echinacea,
Sunflower, etc. I can't think straight anymore but I'd like to gather some
seeds from my garden before I move.

Depends on the plant. Definitely don't hang those bread-seed poppies,
all the seeds will fall out! G If the seeds are far enough along
then yes, I'd try gathering them and drying them - try small paper
bags and elastics, put them in head first, that way you'll lose fewer
seeds.

Heck, I'd like my Moonflower to finally bloom just ONCE before I go.

Ipomoea or datura? My daturas are blooming, but that damned vine
hasn't shown a bud yet!

And, while I think about it, how can I move my Batik Iris? Can I dig them
up now, cut back the leaves and... what? Let them dry? Put them in dry
peat to move? Move them in clumps of earth in a bucket and keep them damp?
I love those things. I'm not leaving them behind to get mowed down.

Take the iris. Cut it back, keep some earth on the roots and try to
keep it slightly damp. This is the ideal time to move them, so go for
it!

Good luck with your move and let us know when you're settled in.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts