Old 30-07-2007, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
vert20 vert20 is offline

Default Worse tomatoe plants ever?

On Jul 28, 12:03 am, dbasedos wrote:
Worse tomatoe plants ever?
The last couple of years my tomatoe plants
have grown shorter and shorter. Also not
getting near as many tomatoes. I only have
a small plot and can not rotate crops.
What to do to get better plants next year?

If your garden is small and you can't rotate very much, follow
the previous post. Also keep in mind that when you till a garden
continously, You create a hard pack in the soil where the bottom of
tiller blades press down the soil creating a hardpack or pan very
dense in nature. Take your garden fork or spade and turn this over
loosening that hard pan. The hardpan doesn't let the roots to go deep
enough. and fully spread out.
I plant my tomatoes at least 7 in. deep in loose soil and since
I have my garden either plowed or deep dug. The roots of my tomatoes
in the fall garden clean up can be 12-20 in. deep. By the way my
garden is medium in size 80ft x 300ft., and I have over 190 tomatoes
in it.