Old 30-07-2007, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Petrol and oil

, I, Marvo, say :

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:02:25 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"

, I, Marvo, say :

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:09:28 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:

And don't leave it half full, or in the cooler weather the water in
the air will condense and eventually settle at the bottom of the
petrol. You will then put it in the lawnmower. Later, when you
start the lawnmower, it will have a carburettor full of water.

Another urban legend. If you had stayed awake in A level
physics/chemistry you'd be able to work it out for yourself.

'Tisn't. The water is already in the petrol. They add it at the
"factory" to make the engine run quieter.

Since I stopped buying fuel in boatyards 10 years ago, I have had
zero water in my boat's fuel, even when one winter I left the tank
half full.

What gums up two stroke engines left unused during the winter is that
the petrol in the carburetor evaporates leaving behind the oil. You
should turn of the fuel and run the engine until it stops before
putting it away for winter.

Here's something to read
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/myth_of_c...fuel_tanks.htm

I don't rely on stuff on the internet cos most of it is balls. So is most of
what I write, but this particular one isn't.

Having flown several light aircraft, I have on many occasions removed water
from them during preflight checks. It is done by shoving a pointy thing up a
valve underneath the wing tank and waiting until the stuff that comes out
doesn't have tell-tale bubbles or globules of water in.

It is not mythical water, it is real wet water.

Planes tend to stay the same way up, as far as gravity is concerned (even
though they tilt in order to turn). So do lawnmowers.

Cars don't have the same problem because they go round corners and that
swills the fuel about. Like strimmers. Also cars tend now to be injected,
and injectors can cope with a dash of H2O. Carburettors can't when the float
is full of the stuff.