Old 30-07-2007, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default glyphosate

On Jul 30, 2:58 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:
On Jul 30, 9:27 am, Martin Brown
wrote:

It is an astonishingly effective weedkiller and relatively benign. The
wetting agents used in the commercial formulations are more dangerous
than the active ingredient.

We don't use it near veg but we do use sprays when all else fails.

If you hit green plant material with it then the plant will very
likely die. I generally only use it on the most persistent weeds in
the wrong place. Ground elder, mares tail and that sort of thing.

I dont like spraying unless I have to.

Question on glyphosate.
It is very, very effective, and was a lifesaver when I started out
from scratch in teh garden.
Now, it is not an option, due to just how effective it is on
everything.

You just need to be more careful handling it to make sure you never
move the spray wand whilst spray is still escaping (or use it when
there is even the slightest wind). Overspray always hits the most
delicate choice plants according to Murphy's Law (and he was an
optimist). You can get glyphosate based sponge tipped pens (like the
sort of boot polish application device) for hitting awkward spots
accurately. Or convert a felt tip pen (unlicenced use). You don't want
to accidentally dribble weedkiller on something precious.

And if you do hit something unintentionally chop off the affected part
immediately and it should be OK.

The only plants I have found that will survive a direct glyphosate hit
are holly and ivy seedlings and buttercup. I expect a few more very
waxy leaved plants will also survive. Most other things expire
completely after a couple of weeks.

I am just wondering whether "painting" some on leaves to minimise
splashes onto surrounding plants would be an effective way of getting
rid of some difficult to pull plants?

Yes. Although it would be unlicenced use. Careful about drips from the
brush though. The felt tip or sponge applicator method is probably
preferable for handling glyphosate in a tight corner.

Ditto for use in lawns the broadleaved weedkiller in a waxy stick is
also handy for odd spot weeding.

Regards,
Martin Brown