Old 01-04-2003, 05:56 PM
K30a

Default Pond Hole Dug!!! Yahoo!!!

Hey BV,

I have Frog Bog One in the big pond.
(Frog Bog Two is its own pond.)
It is a shallow area, about 3' by 5', that
is part of the pond, so even fish can get up
in it if they want.
The bullfrogs, when they lived here, loved it.
They would hang out and sun bath. I had lots of
grasses around it so they would feel protected.
Also put a few branches in there. Rather wild looking.
The turtles also found it a handy area to bask in.

With two large labradors I don't have any problem with predators (knock on
wood!). A heron visited once and found the dogs too tedious to deal with.
Raccoons don't even try. A kingfisher visits every winter but I don't mind him
after his first year. His show is too interesting to ignore and I need
population control.

I think raccoons are the most destructive, overall, to the pond as they will
mess with plants, knocking them over and pulling them out of their pots. But we
have ways of discouraging the little masked mammals so it you come across one
in your ponding adventures we can help.

k30a