Old 30-07-2007, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
vert20 vert20 is offline

Default composters and proximity to plants

On Jul 30, 3:36 pm, doofy wrote:
I'm about to put in a patio garden. I live in a townhouse. If I put a
composter in the small space I've got, will this be a disease source for
the plants I'll have there? What do I do with the "tea" from the bottom
of the composter? If it stinks, I'm sure my neighbors won't want me to
let it drain into our common slab.

What is a good, self-contained composting unit that I can use on a
concrete slab?

Use a black plastic garbage can, cut or drills 1/4" holes in it about
12" from the bottom( this is for a leachate catch) and then through
out the rest of the can. And then only add cut up newspaper, lawn
clippings, kitchen waste ect. DO NOT place meat scraps, butter, salid
dressings ect in it. Place the can where the sun can hit it, and turn
it over by hand once o rtwice a month. With a tight lid on it it will
keep the rain and animals out of it. What ever moisture in it will
come from the compost it self. The smell should not be to bad then. Or
you could by one of those green composers at a store that looks like a
barrel placed on a stand.