Old 31-07-2007, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg Gene Schurg is offline

Default Schomburkia humboldtii

KB,

FWIW...I have Schom. tibicinis that I've been growing for 5 years. It was a
bleached out plant on a mount of tree fern when I got it. When I got it
home I split it in two and put them in a large vanda basket and packed tree
fern chunks around it.

I traded one of them with Al for Schomburkia splendida. That Schom I also
moved from the pot to a large vanda basket and put a large slab of cork in
back of the plant to grow up. This species will crawl out of the
pot/basket. Now I'm in the fourth year on this plant (maybe 3 I lose count)
and this summer I added some aliflor/cocohusk mix to the basket because it
was drying out too quickly.

Both of these are growing outdoors for the summer in full sun from about
8:00 am through 2:00 pm each day. (last year I burned a leaf on the
tibicinis when I put it outdoors because I moved it out too quickly).

The tibicinis usually blooms in the spring/early summer. This year it
didn't initiate growth until I moved it outside (so it didn't burn!). I now
have two growths with 15 inch long spikes that should mature in mid-fall.
The splendida is a fall bloomer and has grown a nice growth that should put
it on schedule.

During the winter these plants rest high on the shelf in the brightest and
hottest part. They get watered once a week and misted on occasion. The
night temp in my greenhouse can get as low as 60.

I also have a Schom. superbiens alba that I haven't bloomed in 4 years but I
have it in full sun this summer and it's looking good at this point. The
new growths are almost bleached out and if this isn't enough sun for it then
I give up!

So my recommendation would be for Schombo.....Lots and lots of light. Give
it everything you got (after hardening off). Feed year around. Keep it
warm in winter. Pot them up in a loose airy mixture in an open basket or
train it to grow in a treefern or cork mount.

Good growing,
Gene

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
My question is does anyone here grow Schomburkia humboldtii? I have the
alba form and the regular form, both are mounted on cork bark. every year
the new growths get smaller and smaller. I just potted it in a very open
mix of lava rock, treefern and charcoal in a plastic pot. Anyone else try
their's in a pot? I've only ever seen Schomb.s grown mounted, but
obviously mine doesn't like my watering habits.

K Barrett