Old 31-07-2007, 02:20 AM posted to rec.ponds
Mud Ponder Mud Ponder is offline

Default Can you overfeed fish.

On 30 Jul, 11:20, "Reel McKoi" wrote:
"deesee" wrote in message

The reason i ask this is that i have twelve 6" golden orfe, if i sit by
the pond and throw food to them, a few pieces at a time, i could go on
forever, and they would keep on feeding, is this good for them.

=======================
If they're already "fat".... yes. My koi and goldfish are the same way.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Sure its possible to over feed anything, fish included. Fish in
general can go a long time without a constant supply of food. Even my
sal****er aquariums and freshwater aquariums only get fed 1x a day
every other dasy or two and my fish all do fine. Same for any pond
fish.............The more you feed also means the more waste is
produced which leads to more filter load and higher organic loads in
the water, which can lead to more nitrate and other chemical levels
which can make water paramters off and cause algae
blooms.............best to feed sparingly for a given amaount of time
and then stop. Say feed what they consume in 5 minutes etc, and let it
at that. If they show signs of being pooor feed em a bit more. I do
doubt other than filter or bio overload that excess food if its decent
quality food anyhow will hurt the fish any, but they certainly do not
eat like a king in the wilds and they certianly do not need to eat
like that in a back yard pond either.