Old 31-07-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default New Lawn Yellowing

You've probably washed all the nitrogen away with all that water. Fertilize it,
and cut the watering back to not much more than once a week.

Are you sure watering once a week would work in high-temperature Zone
9? We're hovering around 100 degrees most of the summer and I have to
hand-water dry spots frequently as it is. :/

What species is/are in the lawn? What have the temperatures been

like, day and night?

The lawn is a blue fescue mix. The daytime temps are in the upper
90's, low humidity, with nights in the lower 60s.

If by "blue fescue mix" you mean a mixture of Kentucky bluegrass and the
usual lawn fescues, you've probably got your answer right there. These are
cool season grasses and go dormant in heat -- you're probably seeing "leaf
firing". Continue to water, but do not overwater -- things will green
up again when fall comes.

If by "blue fescue mix" you mean you've got Festuca ovina var glauca,
it's also cool-season species, but one not suited for the typical
mowed lawn, as it's a clump-former, not a sod former.

Kay