Old 31-07-2007, 08:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jan Flora Jan Flora is offline

Default Tomatoes not setting fruit

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

In article .com,
DH Doyle wrote:

Can I do anything?

I don't think so.

Will these plants likely bear fruit once it cools down some (some days
are below 90 but not for long usually).

Yes, but over 90 is just too hot. Temps need to be below that and below
70 F at night for fruit to set. Sometimes you can help pollination
along with a paintbrush or even a good shaking when the temps are too
high. If you have some blossoms, that might be worth a shot.

marcella

He could try flooding their feet every day to leach the excess
N out of the soil, but at some point, he'd start depriving the
plants of the oxygen they need in the soil. (Waterlog the roots.)

And what you said about high temps, I know it's true, although
we don't have that problem locally.

All of my 'maters are in a hothouse. I shake each plant every
day to ensure pollination, in case a few bees forget to visit.
I have really reliable fruit set. (The paintbrush is for people
with more time than I have to spend on the 'mater plants.)

Jan in Alaska