Old 31-07-2007, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
vert20 vert20 is offline

Default Tomatoes not setting fruit

On Jul 30, 9:32 pm, DH Doyle wrote:
I'm in Columbia SC and planted late (early June) in a new garden plot
w very rich soil. I also added Miracle grow tomatoe fertilizer not
realizing I was probably over fertilizing. I now have a Mortgage
Lifter that is over 6 feet high but few blossoms and a Marion that is
smaller but also barren. A few blossoms but only one tomatoe so
far.
Can I do anything?
Will these plants likely bear fruit once it cools down some (some days
are below 90 but not for long usually).

--Don

Depending on the size of the plot, you can build a shade or arbor
over it to reduce the direct heat and sun on the plants. By doing this
you create a cold spot for them. The shade will cool the soil and the
indirect sunlight will help reduce the strian on the plants.