Old 31-07-2007, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TheScullster TheScullster is offline

Default Newbie Veg Questions

"Bob Hobden" wrote
snip....................

Having never grown Toms in grow bags I can't answer that except that they
are usually placed in a sheltered warm spot unlike the open garden. We
always grow ours out on the allotment in normal soil and have late but
have excellent crops usually, this year due to the constant rain only one
variety has not succumbed to Blight.

Thanks Bob and others for informative response.

Bob, what are the signs of blight?
I have noticed that some leaves on my toms look brown (maybe wind burnt?)
around the edges.
These are the ones in grow bags so I think it unlikely that they will have
suffered too much from water logged roots (if that is the cause of blight).
The leaves have also gone a bit leathery-looking.
But I have a few promising looking tresses (sp) of toms.
My location is on top of a hill, though surounded by housing, so it does get
a bit windy even in the more sheltered corner I use for veg.

Phil