Old 31-07-2007, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default bouganvillia

"Sheila" wrote in message
Hi, I have a 12 month old bouganvillia, "Vera Deep Purple" it was 6" high
when I got it, it has grown and flowered almost constantly, and is now 18"
tall. I have repotted it 3 months ago, it is kept in my conservatory,

south
facing, and was very happy, full of flowers until we went on holiday, I

took
it, with a few other smaller bourganvillia, to my neighbours house, same
south facing, but not in a conservatory, but full light by a window.

We were only away for a week, but all the bracts have fallen off, and the
plant looks very spindly and leggy, there are still leaves, but I cant see
any new bracts forming. I dont think it was overwatered, the soil was not
dry, but not sodden.

What do you think might be happening? is this normal for the plant to

rest
like this. I haven't cut it back at all, or fed it. its in a 6 inch pot.
the other plants are fine, not flowering yet at all, a lot younger.

thanks

There are quite a few plants that object to being moved, I hadn't thought
however that Bougainvillea was one of them, (mine gets carted off to flower
shows from time to time when I am desperate for something in flower!)
However some Bougainvillea varieties do indeed have dormant periods between
flushes of flowers while others flower continuously, the former are
generally hardier than the latter. Avoid giving too much water while its
resting.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk