Old 31-07-2007, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default bouganvillia

, I, Marvo, say :

Hi, I have a 12 month old bouganvillia, "Vera Deep Purple" it was 6"
high when I got it, it has grown and flowered almost constantly, and
is now 18" tall. I have repotted it 3 months ago, it is kept in my
conservatory, south facing, and was very happy, full of flowers until
we went on holiday, I took it, with a few other smaller
bourganvillia, to my neighbours house, same south facing, but not in
a conservatory, but full light by a window.
We were only away for a week, but all the bracts have fallen off, and
the plant looks very spindly and leggy, there are still leaves, but I
cant see any new bracts forming. I dont think it was overwatered, the
soil was not dry, but not sodden.

What do you think might be happening? is this normal for the plant
to rest like this. I haven't cut it back at all, or fed it. its in a
6 inch pot. the other plants are fine, not flowering yet at all, a
lot younger.

Mine lives outside in a pot. It has done the same, but I know it will
recover.

They "like" stress. They bract more when they're potbound and too dry, when
the humidity is this high the stress levels lower and they bract less. Now
the pressure is up and the air dryer an improvement is quite visible in
mine, the leaves are wetter looking and the bracts are back, and the little
flowers inside are stronger.

I only know this cos when I got it I panicked and read about everything
there is to read about them. Marvellous plants.

Do you let bees etc in to your conservatory?

What colour is yours?