Old 31-07-2007, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis Emery Davis is offline

Default glyphosate

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:46:49 +0100
"Uncle Marvo" wrote:

, I, Marvo, say :

(Never seen a cheap
TBA, though, Marvo. But there are lots of good stickies from e.g.
the Loire that aren't too dear.)

I blag them from the "shows". Usually you can taste enough for nothing to
get merry on, then once you've found the right one you order half a dozen
half-bottles, which are a good price, then you "find" that the delivery
charge is where they make their money, which you refuse to pay.

Still not cheap, but reasonable.

What a scheme! When I go to the shows I have to spit, otherwise I'd quickly
be hammered. And not have a clue what I was tasting. (One exception for
this was with the Glen Grant people in Paris, including a wonderful Glen Farclas
vertical. I staggered home, probably walked twice as far as the regular distance.)
At the trade shows I usually taste well over 100 wines, before my palate packs up.
And of course usually I've got to get in the car and drive, too...

I used to know a bloke who was a buyer for GV (I think), and he had a garage
full of the stuff. Every time I mended his PC my stock increased by one.

Folks with decent cellars often like giving it away. I know I do, anyway. It's lots of
fun to give an older bottle, or something unusual.

I pay my mole catcher with wine. He doesn't actually drink anymore himself,
so I usually try to give something his wife can enjoy as an aperitif, like a
Coteaux du Layon or Muscat de Beaumes de Venise. It's a great deal for
me, he's a very talented fellow with the old trap!

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to