Old 31-07-2007, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
jangchub jangchub is offline

Default Do seeds have to ripen on the plant?

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:09:39 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

Or can the seed pod/flower head be cut off and hung to dry after it is
formed? I'm thinking of things like Bread-seed Poppy, Balsam, Echinacea,
Sunflower, etc. I can't think straight anymore but I'd like to gather some
seeds from my garden before I move.

Heck, I'd like my Moonflower to finally bloom just ONCE before I go.

And, while I think about it, how can I move my Batik Iris? Can I dig them
up now, cut back the leaves and... what? Let them dry? Put them in dry
peat to move? Move them in clumps of earth in a bucket and keep them damp?
I love those things. I'm not leaving them behind to get mowed down.

The seeds should ripen on the plant for best germination rates. All
the plants you mention really do need seeds to ripen on the vine or
plant.

You can dig the iris and divide them. Store them in a dry, cool place
over the winter and plant them in early spring. Cut the foliage off
to about six inches into a fan shape. OR you can move them with a
dirt ball on them, but chances are they may not flower next spring.
They are very hardy and difficult to kill.

Ipomoea alba (moonvine) is a photosensitive plant and depending on
daylight length will determine when it blooms. It will probably start
blooming in mid-August along with morning glories.