Old 31-07-2007, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Rachael Simpson Rachael Simpson is offline

Default coastal landscaping plants

Hey y'all,

My mom & dad (step) are permanently moving to their "retirement" home at
the beach this winter. By at the beach, I mean right across the road
from the ocean bay, between jacksonville & wilmington, nc.

I'm helping my mom get together some landscaping ideas for their yard.
My mom really like shrimp plants (the type that produces flowers that
make you think of actual shrimp) and wants to put some plants out in the
yard there. I have read conflicting info on the shrimp plant. I read one
place that shrimp plants are tropical and do well in tropical areas, and
I have also read elsewhere that they don't do well in "salt areas". Does
anyone have any experience with these plants or know if they will grow &
produce well that close to the ocean?

Also need some info on the "pink flamingo" plant. Spotted one in the
michigan bulb catalog, but can't turn up much info on it. Like the
shrimp plant, the pink flamingo produces flowers that resembles pink
flamingos.

Thanks,
Rae