Old 31-07-2007, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Rachael Simpson Rachael Simpson is offline

Default coastal landscaping plants

Jim Kingdon wrote:
By at the beach, I mean right across the road from the ocean bay,
between jacksonville & wilmington, nc. . . ."salt areas"

There are a number of salt-tolerant native plants he
http://www.nps.gov/plants/pubs/chesapeake/index.htm
I would assume the ones which particularly can handle the salt spray
would be in sections like this:
http://www.nps.gov/plants/pubs/chesa...half.htm#dunes

This was written for Norfolk, VA and north, but there probably is
significant overlap with North Carolina.

Do you know just how salty the soil/air is? Is there a salty water
table or are they above the water table? Does the wind blow towards
their yard from salt water? I don't have much firsthand experience
with being that close to the coast, though, so I'm just trying to
think of what kinds of questions I'd ask.

Good questions! You gave me a bit more to research. I have no clue
about a salt water table....

There is a tree break between them and the water in the front of the
house, but the back & right side (if you are standing in front of the
yard with your back to the house) is open ...the bay has a inlet that
goes around behind their house, where my parents & neighbors use to dock
their boats. It's not a beach town (yet, & hopefully won't be), more of
a fishing community.

There isn't much of a salt water spray off the bay, but when storm surge
comes in is a concern. The bay is a "no wake" area. Generally the wind (
ocean breeze) blows in across the yard from right to left...straight off
the water.

Thanks for the links, will put them to use.

Rae