Old 31-07-2007, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Allen shredder & similar users help

"Broadback" wrote in message
Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:17:56 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Following recommendations here I have purchased the above shredder. A
question or 2 please from users. It shreds easily and quickly, however
when shredding hedge cuttings through the large hopper I get quite a lot
of very fine shreddings (almost dust)blowing out of the chipper throat.
Is this normal, have I a problem, or is there a way to stop it? TIA

I've had an Allen for many years. It does sometimes do what you say but
only when the bag is getting too full or (as Shazzbat says) when it's
getting blocked. The Allen took a little getting used to but since I did,
it's been great :-)

HTH.

Thanks Folk, that was the problem. Now the problem is that it keeps
blocking, I even had to completely strip down to the blades at one point.
I am shredding hedge cuttings, feeding them into the hopper. It eats them
up no trouble, but starts to get blocked before the bag is 1/2 full, this
at least necessitates taking off the discharge cover in order to remove
the screen and clean. Now as everyone says how good they are I accept that
I am doing something wrong, any ideas please? At the moment it is taking
me almost as long as with my electric shredder, as that rarely blocks, if
it does it take very little time to clear.

The blockage IME is due to the material being shredded being damp. Can you
dry it off a bit in the sun (now we've got some) for a couple of days before
shredding?

Steve