Old 31-07-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Do seeds have to ripen on the plant?

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 21:58:09 -0500, helco wrote:
turn red? Clover? A patch of land that adjoins my yard has gone
untended for over a year now, and I've been wading in there to pull the
plants that are making seeds (getting scratched up by rampant
raspberries in the process). I'd like to put them in the compost (we're
talking a lot of biomass), but I'm already being overrun by those weeds
in my own yard because of last summer's neglect, and I don't want more.

Don't blame last year's weeds in the neighboring lot for germinating weed seeds
in your lawn this year. Chances are, the stuff that's germinating this
year has been there for quite a while, waiting for an opening in the
lawn canopy to germinate. Easiest way to prevent lawn weeds is to grow
thick grass mowed at the proper height for the species.