Old 31-07-2007, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Bending an oak tree

Absolutely not. People tried to convince Dr Shigo of this until the day he
died. I guess when you dissect as many trees as he did, you don't fall for
some of these people who have not dissected as many trees. If you scribe
you do not scribe to the heartwood. I will continue to be guided my MODERN
ARBORICULTURE and NEW TREE BIOLOGY. The research you mention is not long
enough research as far as I understand the situation. Just how long was the
research and what were the controls.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"Treedweller" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 19:37:38 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

If the tree is large I might, I would have to see the tree, drill and
place
a bolt rod in. I would scribe just so round washers would sit flat on the
wood. The a nut on one and the end to pull would have an amon nut. If
interested I could make some drawings.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist

I'm surprised at this, John. Even one of the Trade Advertising
Journals just ran an article explaining that scribing around washers
has been discredited, as it tends to lead to extensive decay. Simply
pulling the washer against the bark does the job better; the comressed
bark makes something like a cork washer to buffer the hardware and
reduce the long-term decay in the heartwood.

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-0236AT