Old 31-07-2007, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Bending an oak tree

Do not use a sling , it will girdle the tree.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"Tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 29, 10:25 pm, Treedweller wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 19:37:38 -0400, "symplastless"

wrote:

If the tree is large I might, I would have to see the tree, drill and
place
a bolt rod in. I would scribe just so round washers would sit flat on
the
wood. The a nut on one and the end to pull would have an amon nut. If
interested I could make some drawings.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist

I'm surprised at this, John. Even one of the Trade Advertising
Journals just ran an article explaining that scribing around washers
has been discredited, as it tends to lead to extensive decay. Simply
pulling the washer against the bark does the job better; the comressed
bark makes something like a cork washer to buffer the hardware and
reduce the long-term decay in the heartwood.

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-0236AT

I am confused as to what everyone is saying about the tree being
pruned too high. The tree always had a single narrow trunk. Only
after it was bent, did little shoots start coming out of the trunk all
along the curved surface. All of these little twigs were removed, but
I think only two other existing branches were removed. It has always
really looked like that. I am not too concerned about it falling on
my house, the tree is really not that big of a threat, not even to my
neighbors (Their tree was the start of all this, Oh and hurricane
Charley). What I find baffling is that a few people have said to
remove it. This seems like the "We need to burn this Village to save
it" mentality. Well if that is the case, then what harm can come
trying to winch it straight. I guess my original post was more
concerned with the engineering aspects, such as: Will the tree even
move if I was cranking it? and Lbs of force to use? and what would be
a good spot on the tree to attach a sling like thing to (High Middle
Low??)

Tom Kuhn