Old 01-08-2007, 12:45 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default not-very-nice carrots

"Terryc" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:

ok, well, that's encouraging! may i ask how many years you've been
working at it before your carrots came good?

oh, we've been here 20 years {:-).

argh!! g

Seriously, we've only been piling the organic matter high for two years.

The soil was under an above ground pool that was emptied every three years
and the garden sits under a large tree.

right. i'm pretty sure my soil cannot be as damaged as that. there just
wasn't anything there except what passes for grass around here ;-)

We tried too many things, systems, until we twigged that we really just
needed to pile it on. Lol, even the green manure crop is looking better
atm.

We are lookng forward to other root crops starting to perform.

me too! my onions were nice but ridiculously tiny. didn't get as many taties
as i'd hoped. etc etc. i trust all these issues will come good eventually.
it's just hard to know when it's ME doing something wrong vs something just
going wrong due to factors i haven't been able to change yet. (my celery is
beyond weird - i'm not even going to ask about that).
kylie