Old 01-08-2007, 01:07 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default vines for sheds

"0tterbot" wrote in message

does anyone have any points for or against jasmine in this situation?
is there one jasmine above all that you would recommend? or a better
suggestion?

if you had a fugly shed, what would you grow on it?

I'd grow a Dorothy Perkins rose. They will grow well in clay and will
grow over the whole shed (sorry not a huge fan of jasmine).

my loathing of roses is only matched by their loathing of me g! (it's
an early-childhood-bike-accident thing....;-)

:-)) If I had a loathing for every nasty incident that happened to me in
my childhood, I'd never have chooks or a garden or go near dogs, cats,
cattle, pushbikes or horses.

yeah, i know. i decided to just limit my neurosis to roses though ;-) having
said that, they seem to leap out at me whenever i pass the damn things. my
bike accident was truly spectacular, but now roses just harrass me in tiny
ways. g

tbh, i don't think it's "roses" as a concept i detest exactly - it's more
that i share cranky old clive blazey's opinion that the hybrid picking roses
are over-large (but mostly quite lovely) flowers growing on truly,
genuinely, unattractive bushes. whereas the old roses are just gorgeous,
bushes & all. kwim? (i'm a kind of wholistic gardener - if it looks crap 8
months of the year, i don't really want it ;-)

I've also been told that I shouldn't prune roses (or weed near them)
because of the risk of infection (caused by thorns) that they apparently
pose to someone such as myself for one of the types of cancers I have
survived. I ignore that last piece of advice. If the cancers didn't kill
me, then my number just isn't up yet and even if my ignorance of such
advice does result in death, well so what? We all have to die of
something.

:-)) that's a great attitude. my grandfather was a market gardener in the
heady days of ddt & my mum (who must have got it all over herself multiple
times) kind of thinks the same thing (about how it's probably in all our dna
now like a time bomb... argh!)

but yes. if you love your roses, i should think you get more value from
loving them & caring for them than worrying about what "might" happen. :-)

having said that, we do have a lovely pale-yellow (thornless!!!!) climber
here & it's just beautiful. i'm pretty sure i've seen dorothy perkins &
it is beautiful too. old-fashioned climbing and banking roses really are
lovely provided i don't have to go near them. sigh!!

Most roses are lovely if they are in the right setting and are the right
colour and if they have perfume (I don't like roses with no perfume). I
think the same could probably said for most flowering plants.

that's very true. i was talking with someone recently who wants to convert
his old garden into all-native, & i DID say, keep your roses for now while
you're still thinking about it all, not least because they're tough & easy.
all plants have their place, in the right place. roses have a lot going for
them.
kylie