Old 31-07-2007, 09:12 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Why do ripe fruits -- especially when canned -- smell bad? --excluding apples and cantaloupes

Radium wrote:
On Jul 27, 7:47 pm, Mark Thorson wrote:
Radium wrote:

I hate those odors. That why I like to eat apricots, peaches, and
similar fruits when they are sour, hard, and greenish. When sour,
hard, and greenish, most fruits smell pleasant. When they are too
ripe, they become excessively sweet, grossly-soft up and turn mucus
yellow; this is when they start to stink.
What causes those immeasurably-foul odors?

A couple possibilities you haven't considered are
ethyl acetate and isoamyl acetate.

Oh and I have three additional chemicals to rule out:

1. Ammonia
2. Urea
3. Sulfides and other sulfur-containing compounds

Have you considered taking-up smoking? Perhaps unfiltered cigarettes?
They tend to change one's perception of tastes and smells. HTH ;-)

Bob