Old 31-07-2007, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Hugh Jampton Hugh Jampton is offline

Default Allen shredder & similar users help

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:55:36 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Thanks Folk, that was the problem. Now the problem is that it keeps
blocking, I even had to completely strip down to the blades at one
point. I am shredding hedge cuttings, feeding them into the hopper. It
eats them up no trouble, but starts to get blocked before the bag is 1/2
full, this at least necessitates taking off the discharge cover in order
to remove the screen and clean. Now as everyone says how good they are I
accept that I am doing something wrong, any ideas please? At the moment
it is taking me almost as long as with my electric shredder, as that
rarely blocks, if it does it take very little time to clear.

Shazzbat suggests it's wet stuff causing the problem. My Allen copes with
wet(ish) hawthorn/privet and similar *but* I well remember the day I tried
to shred new potato stalks and leaves just after digging - blocked the
shredder totally - had to take it to bits to clear it :-(

Is it getting blocked on the entrance or discharge ? If on discharge then I
think it's probably caused by wet - but if your electric shredder copes
with that kind of stuff then I find it odd. If on entrance then mine does
that occasionally - it's the way you feed it :-)

Sorry you're having problems - I really would be lost without my Allen and
hope you get sorted soon - please keep us informed.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton