Old 01-08-2007, 02:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
WaltA WaltA is offline

Default Allen shredder & similar users help

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:55:36 +0100, Broadback
wrote:
I accept that I am doing something wrong, any ideas please?

Perhaps you arnt doing anything wrong, it could be that we have not
encountered your type of hedge/conditions ! :-!))
Well, gotta blame it on something, it isnt computer driven, so blaming
that is out
but I can imagine you are somewhat disheartened after spending all
that dosh

The only idea I have at the mo.
( in addition to what has been said by the others, like whom I am a
bit mystified cos I've had no troubles like this, else I wouldnt have
been one of the ones recommending it, as you can imagine !)
is to wonder if the hammers are all free to move on their pivots ?

The blades at the front, insideof the chute, are just the first
stage(PS*), then there is a set of pivoted hammers that should mangle
(masticate ! ) the bits before squidging them through the output gate.

Is is a new machine or s/hand ? If the former then the tolerances on
manufacture are (were) a bit tight, two of my (9?, its a long time
since I took it apart) hammers (flails) were not free to move
initially.
If s/h then perhaps they have rusted up ?

The rest is just witterings in the hope that something will emerge :--

What type of hedge ? I use mine on private ( large leaf stuff) and on
that horrid wee leaved thing that some call private but is something
else I think and laurel formal hedgings, but rather more copious
quantities of general shrubs, undergrowth, brambles, tree prunings
etc.
all go through without problems.

Are your hedge trimmings all really wet leafy green stuff or does it
include lots of the wee twiggy bits ?

If it is all wet leafy green stuff, have you got other twiggy/woody
stuff to include with it ?
Or even a few branches to shove down the chipper shut to clear the
clog ?

I agree that potato haulm could well clog it up, but I have copious
quantities of autumn fall wet beech leaves to sweep up onto it,
or vacuum up with the rotary mower and tip into it ( Im impatient and
want my leafmold heaps to break down quick !) No prob.

Im out of ideas, I'll have another ginger wine to see if that tells me
anything !

(*PS) else it would produce stuff just like a flymo