Old 01-08-2007, 05:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Vanini John Vanini is offline

Default Green potatoes

I remember my mother, way back in the 1940s and 1950s, cutting and throwing
away the green, poisonous, portion of a potato and using the rest of it in
cooking - she assumed, obviously, that what was left would be alright and
safe to eat and I and my siblings are all alive and well so she must have
been right to a certain extent!

Recently, on a TV gardening program, however, we were told to throw away the
whole potato as it was all poisonous. However, in this day and age, I don't
trust everything I see and hear on TV.

This year, I had a very good crop of potatoes but some of the very large
ones are partially green. Was my mother right or should I throw away the
green ones? Having not had the problem because all our potatoes came from
the greengrocer or supermarket until I got my allotment a couple of years
ago, I'm not sure what to do.

I'd be grateful for any advice, please.

Regards,

John