Old 01-08-2007, 07:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default Bigger pond

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 20:44:48 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

Galen,

That seems a huge water table change! Do you see that as a function
of housing? Has it stabilized, or is it still falling?

It isn't a function of housing, I'm in a rural area where there isn't
a whole lot of "housing." It's more a function of how very little
rain we have had over the past few years.

When we lived in Miami, we had water pretty near the surface. That
was 22 yrs ago.

There is a mixture of clay and sand here, overlaying the Hawthorne
formation of limestone. That results in sort of two water tables. The
main one is in the limestone, at a depth in this area a little below
the Suwannee River, roughly about 80 feet above sea level in this
area. That water table has been falling also, although not as fast.
The upper table is in the poorly drained sand and clay, where it is
over cracks in the limestone, it drains down into the aquifer,
otherwise it pretty much stays around. That is the part that is so
dry. We have gotten pretty used to saturated ground here. We don't
really know how to behave now that it's so dry.
--
Galen Hekhuis
We'll cross that bridge when it rears its ugly head