Old 01-08-2007, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default New Lawn Yellowing

Do dig down in a spot and see how far your water is penetrating. There's
no point in only watering the top inch of soil when the lawn is established...
that actually will increase your chances of problems with the lawn. Instead,
a good, deep soaking once a week is better... in the upper midwestern summers,
we figured an average of 1" of water a week to keep a bluegrass/fescue lawn
going. Luckily, in the midwest, you usually get that inch in rainfall.

I cannot, in good conscience, put an inch of water on my lawn out here in
the arid west (I'm near Portland, OR), so I'm maintaining a bit of lawn near
the house (my DH is a traditionalist) and slowly working on converting the
rest to native plants, which do not need summer watering. The lawn near the
house, however, just gets enough to keep it barely alive in the summer...
nowhere near enough to keep it green.

Kay

Kay
Fleemo is near Sacramento CA,