Old 01-08-2007, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
vert20 vert20 is offline

Default Tomatoes not setting fruit

On Aug 1, 7:10 am, DH Doyle wrote:
From all these comments, I'm guessing that next year I need to plant

earlier, not fertilize, and perhaps arrange for some shade. The plot
is exposed to full or almost sun at least half the day. The garage
wall shields the plants from the sun the second half of the day. If
the soil is the problem, can't I send a sample to some state service
and get it analyzed. Let's say I learn there is "too much" nitrogen
in the soil; what then is the solution before I plant?

Meanwhile, I'll wait and see if they don't start setting fruit and
bearing tomatoes later in the season.

If you do find out that the soil is nutrient rich, just wait until
it leaches out or plant a heavy feeder crop like corn in it. Also you
can try to add a mulch to the soil that will eat up the nitrogen
during decomposition, like fresh pine or hard wood sawdust or chips.