Old 01-08-2007, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Glenna Rose Glenna Rose is offline

Default Tomato Sauce Recipe?

writes:
Can anyone share a good recipe for making tomato sauce from plum tomatoes?

Thanks,

Tim
S.New Jersey 6b

Hmmm, recipe? I just put the ripe (not over-ripe!), washed tomatoes,
quartered for smaller and more pieces for larger, in a pan with herbs and
simmer for 3-5 hours then run it through a food mill until nothing more
will pass through and only tomato skins are left (barely!). Never thought
about a recipe. I try to have half "meaty" tomatoes (like Roma) if I want
sauce and reduce it more. If soup or juice is my goal, I just put what is
ripe that day in the pan with no concern about enough "meaty" tomatoes.
If you want plain tomato sauce to use in recipes later, just use the
tomatoes and season with herbs later?

Herbs include, but not limited to, rosemary, sage, basil, parsley,
oregano, etc. (whatever is in the line of sight when my basket is in hand).

Not scientific, but delicious. Note, however, that a variety of heirlooms
abound in my garden with all their extra flavor.

Nice thing about good tomatoes - it's difficult to go wrong regardless of
what we do.

Another nice thing about good tomatoes, if you are making
sauce/soup/juice, you can have a lidded container in the freezer and drop
them in and cook when you have enough to make a large batch. I do that
all the time when I have ripe tomatoes and don't have something specific
that day. It also works well for those that might have a blemish (cut off
before putting it the container to freeze).

Glenna

(Love it when the tomatoes are ripe! I planted a second batch of broccoli
so now, for the first time, I have broccoli and tomatoes at the same time
- yum! Lettuce finally bolted but still some good leaves left, had my
first BLT last week, added basil and parsley to it, soooo good. A fine
taste of heaven on this ol' earth.)