Old 01-08-2007, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default Truly organic commercial compost

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Steve wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:08:13 -0700, doofy wrote:

I just went to Lowe's to see about getting some potting soil. The only
thing there with ORGANIC on it was something from Miracle Gro. It had
poultry and/or cattle manure in it, along with forest products, etc.

To me, it would be organic if the livestock was never fed antibiotics or
growth hormones, but I'm betting that was not the case.

Are there any truly organic soil amendments out there that I might be
able to find locally, easily?

You didn't tell us where "locally" is, but you look to be a sonic.net
customer so I'm guessing the Santa Rosa area.
If no one comes up with something satisfactory then have a look at
Peaceful Valley Farm Supply http://www.groworganic.com
You should be able to order from them and have it shipped without
paying too awfully much for shipping.

Thanks for the info. I was able to find some organic compost at OSH
yesterday. It spelled out that it conforms to organic standards.

Now I have to mix up some potting soil. Got a bit of peat moss, and
some alfalfa meal. I'll find some other amendments when I can. I think
I live in the only non-organic portion of the normally organic-friendly
Bay Area. Can't even find any organic seeds anywhere. I'll have to
drive to Berkeley. I live in Fremont, CA, by the way, not Santa Rosa.

Once you get a handle on how much gardening your going to be doing, you
may want to check-out the local landscape supplies stores. A cubic yard
of organic mushroom compost cost me about $25.
--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/